Friday, December 25, 2009

Taking it out on the wrong person.

Tonight I was angry and I think I had a case of displaced anger (I think that's what it's called). I might have overreacted to a text I received from a friend earlier in the evening. So right about dinner time, I decide to go to Sonic (being that it was one of the only places open besides Jack n the Box for a quick bite) and get something to eat for me and Alex.

I could see they were extremely busy. I only saw two people inside and they seemed to be moving as fast as they could, so I didn't mind that it was taking them a while to get to me. I had pressed the red button to order as I first pulled up. It took them about 12 minutes to get to me, but let's rewind just a little bit.

So I'm on the phone with my friend Natalie and I'm explaining to her how busy it seemed there, when suddenly I notice a figure in front of my car. It appeared to be a person wrapped in a blanket. Suddenly the figure moves around the menu and to my window. I look up and it's a woman. I wasn't too sure if she was homeless, but her words to me were something like she was kicked out. From where? I have no clue, but still she was hanging out at Sonic, and it was a little sad.

The woman asks me if I would buy her a cup of coffee. I couldn't deny her this request, afterall had she been homeless, she would have eaily asked me for money. I asked what size and she said a small would be fine. I said that would be ok, but that it was taking them some time to get to my order. She slowly walked away and finally a voice over the spearbox asked for my order. I ordered the brown bag special with cheese and no onions and told them to give me tots instead of fries with two cherry limeades. As they gave me the total (mind you I'm still on the phone with my friend) I quickly remembered the coffee, so I pressed the button again and asked that a small coffee be added to my order.

So minutes pass and I'm still on the phone with Natalie. Suddenly this woman in a blanket comes to my window again and this time seems a little upset, judging by the look on her face. As I look at her, she says to me, "If you didn't want to order me coffee, all you had to do was say so."

I don't know what came over me, but I became angry. I was angry that she would accuse me of lying about the whole coffee thing. I looked at her in the face, and said "I ordered your coffee! It's not my fault they're taking so long." Then I paused for a second, and without hesitation continued, "You know what?? I don't want to order your stupid coffee anymore and I don't want to feel sorry for you!"

With that, I rolled up my window and had to catch my breath for a second. My friend Natalie had been on speaker the whole time, so the next thing I remember was her shouting "Who are you talking to and what's going on??"

I told her to hang on for a bit while I pressed the red button again on the menu. When the guy's voice came on, I told him to cancel the coffee request because it had been for a homeless woman who apparently thought I was kidding abnout ordering it for her. My friend Natalie laughed, and I told her I couldn't believe I said this to the woman, but she made me angry.

Was this wrong of me? Should I be feeling bad about this? Was I still upset from the text I had gotten earlier that evening. Perhaps it was wrong. Perhaps I did feel bad. Perhaps I was still angry from the text. Point is, it was Christmas. A friend of mine said I shouldn't worry about it. I realized what I had done and it's in the past. He said I should do something nice for someone else now. Perhaps he's right, but I think this is still going to stay in the back of my mind. I don't know that I'm naturally a mean person. It's not my nature.

No comments:

Post a Comment