Monday, December 14, 2009

It's most upsetting when family lets you down.

I can understand friends letting you down from time to time, or at least, it's understanding when it's a friend you haven't known for years and years. Let's just say it's a friend you made over the summer. That can be somewhat understanding, right? I mean, you haven't known them that long. So when something happens that they're just can't be there for you, or somehow just kinda mess up, you have to tell yourself, "well, I don't know them all that well."

So tonight my Mom calls me to tell me that my nephew stole...no, not borrowed, literally took her debit card from her purse, without even asking and withdrew a couple hundred dollars from her account. My first reaction, natrually was, "WTF!!! What is wrong with him???" But then again, that's what I've been asking myself about him the last 2 years or so.

About a year and a half ago, I allowed him to live with me because he said he just kind of needed a change. I told him it was fine. I had no f'n clue what I was getting into. Mind you, he was still in high school at the time. I was not only working full time, but was going to school full time. I had no time to keep up with all he was doing. I don't know why I would have thought someone at 16 would have a little more control over their life. Well, maybe it's because I was a good kid. I didn't go around skipping school and stealing money, but maybe that's the new thing. It's so hard to keep up with kids these days.

I finally had enough. I was at the point where I didn't want anything to do with him anymore. I know it sounds sad, but it was very true. He was constantly lying. But what really bothered me was when he would do it to my face. It didn't bother him at all that he was doing this...not for a minute. So yeah, I kicked him out. I don't regret it, not one bit. I just don't understand him. I don't understand what went wrong. He's nothing like his father was, and just about everything like his mother.

So I recently found out he's been spending more time with his mother. I'm sure her being out of prison makes it more convenient for him. I hate talking trash about her, but I had given her so many chances in the past to redeem herself. To show that she knew she had made mistakes, but that she was ready to start new again. Now all I see in my nephew is her. A sad reflection of her own life. It hurts to say that about my own family, but that's how I see it.

I wish I could just smack him across the face and make him snap out of it. I don't think that's gonna happen. First of all, I couldn't hit him. Second, I just don't think he's ready to learn. And even though my mom raised him, I don't see how it could have come to this. Yes, she spoiled him, and yes she let him get away with so much. But what baffles me is where he picked up all these awful habits.

I'm done. I'm so done. I just don't see any of my family in him. We were never like this. My brothers and sister and I, we were never like this. I've talked to him. And everytime I've felt like just giving up, someone has said, "just talk to him." I have. I've talked, I've pleaded, I've explained to him that things would not end up well if he continued on his path. And still he's continued. So I'm done. I truly feel that whatever happens.....happens. I just wish he could see how it affects everyone else.

No comments:

Post a Comment