Sunday, December 6, 2009

Just need to rant.

Isn't it funny how our minds sometimes just go off on a tangent, and we start to think of the most minuscule things, even though we know we should be focusing on bigger issues? I've been so worried lately about putting together my proposal to present to my adivsor on what the topic of my thesis will be.

Although it's something I should have been working on all semester, I've decided to make slight modifications to my thesis, trying to make it less broad than it is. So my proposal is due this week, but instead I've been caught up with all the stuff I've been watching on television and in the news. I know, I know, you're thinking, "Chris, you need to focus," but that's my problem, I CAN'T!!!!

I walked into the living room just a moment ago, and the ABC drama, Brothers and Sisters was just starting (mind you, I haven't seen this show in over a year, so I really don't know what's going on). So they cut to a scene with Calista Flockhart sitting on a sofa reading something and sipping on, what I can only imagine was coffee. I noticed she was wearing this oversized hat, nothing too "in-fashion," but more like something meant to cover her head for a purpose. I turned and asked Alex if her character now had cancer. He kind of just shrugged his shoulders.

I don't understand why when tv shows want to boost ratings, they suddenly give one of their cast members cancer. It's like the producers are talking to the cast and the conversation would go something like this:

Producer: "Um, Calista, sweetie, we've gone over the numbers and we've lost a significant number of viewers to other networks in our time slot. We may have to make some slight changes to your character next season."

Flockhart: "Oh, ok. So what did you have in mind? I'm open to whatever, if you're sure it's going to help the show."

Producer: "Well, we were thinking of cancer. That, OR, you die suddenly in a horrible accident."

Flockhart: "I can do cancer. I mean what better way to win over the hearts of our viewers, right?"

And all the while saying it with such a fake smile. Seriously, think of all the shows that have given someone cancer in order to sustain viewers: Grey's Anatomy, Sex and the City, and even Desparate Housewives. Of course, most of the portrayals of cancer in these shows have seemed to be unrealistic according to some online news sources. Nonetheless, what is it about cancer that tv executives feel will always win back their audience?

Cancer is a serious issue, and some people don't make it through. Of course most of these tv characters seem to beat it (with the exception of Erin Daniels on The L Word). Yes, I understand that cancer is "real life," but what about making a character go through what many others go through in real life? Something like struggling to get through school and work and pay bills...this is MY real life. Oh of course! It's not going to get the same ratings as someone rich and with cancer, my bad.

Ok, enough of my tv cancer rant. I've also been on this whole Hollywood and remake business high. I just have to wonder why, or even when Hollywood ran out of all their ideas that they had to start remaking everything. It's like original ideas don't exist anymore in tinsel town. What happened? Don't get me wrong, I don't mind the occasional remake, but I don't want all my movies to be that way. The one I truly enjoyed was the 2003 remake of The Texas Chainsaw Massacre. I love a lot of Michael Bay's work. Then there are all the disasters like The Fog, The Amityville Horror, When a Stranger Calls, and House of Wax.

And now some classics are coming back: Poltergeist, A Nightmare on Elm Street, Clash of the Titans, Footloose, Piranha, and Red Dawn. And those are only some that are actually in production. Others that are actually in development include: Girls Just Want to Have Fun, The Blob, RoboCop, Short Circuit, The Neverending Story, Total Recall, and Valley Girl. The part that still gets me about the whole remake business is that tv is also getting in on the act. Just this season, re-introduced Beverly Hills 90210 and Melrose Place. I know these aren't technically remakes, but rather more like new generations, it's still almost the same thing. I mean, why now? Why didn't this happen with big contenders like Dallas or Dynasty?

I'm just saying that sometimes remakes can be fun, but more than not they're simply annoying. Then again, it's a totally new generation of people now working in Hollywood. I guess the younger they get, the less original they are. The other day I was watching Pretty Woman and thought to myself, "If this movie had been released today, Julia Roberts would totally have been nominated for an Academy Award." Today, it doesn't take much to be nominated, then again the options are pretty slim.

All I can say is, goodluck Hollywood. You might need it.

No comments:

Post a Comment