Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Ain't it funny....

Have you ever known someone, well not known, KNOWN, but maybe known of someone, a friend of a friend, perhaps an acquaintance, that for some reason you just didn't like. I've known that person. And it's usually something petty I don't like them for, but eventually I realize it's like high school drama, and I drop it. Notice I said eventually. It doesn't happen in a day or two, sometimes not even in a week or two. Eventually, it does happen though. For me, it often happens when I notice something in someone that I relate with. Maybe an event or a circumstance they went through somehow makes me change my point of view.

Tonight I was watching QAF (Queer as Folk) with Alex. Mind you this is a show I never followed, nor had any intention of keeping up with. It just seemed really superficial. Anyway, getting back to my point. I didn't really like many of the characters. Okay, who am I kidding? I didn't like any of them. But I would still ocassionally watch. Tonight one of the scenes took place at an arena where some of the cast were watching a football game, namely one particular player. Because Alex is a little more schooled on this show, I had to ask him what was going on.

I could see that Emmet, one of the main characters was feeling uneasy in a scene where the ball player's fiance entered the box suite. Something was obviously wrong. It was also apparent that Emmet had somewhat of a crush on the ball player, still I couldn't put two and two together. So Alex told me that Emmet had once had an affair with the guy.

Anytime I've seen the show, I've voiced my opinion about the characters. Emmet's was always so fake and overly gay. Then tonight I saw his reaction as the fiance asked Emmet and his friends to meet her husband. You could see how hurt he was, and I thought, "I feel so bad for him." I know, I know...it's just a show. But I've seen stuff like that happen in real life, and I'm sure some of you have too.

It was in that moment, that his character finally reached out to me, and I could see that his disappointment. For a moment I found myself feeling sorry for him.

(I started this blog last night, then decided to go out for a drink. I just finished the last couple of sentences this afternoon...LOL! I didn't even try to save it and come back to it. It just sat on my screen all night. In fact I remember telling someone last night, "I can't believe I left in mid-blog!)

No comments:

Post a Comment