Friday, May 4, 2012

Ginger is the new black

I'm still not sure who came up with the expression, "blondes have more fun." I'm not blonde, and I'm constantly having fun. In fact, I can probably say I'm having more fun than my blonde counterparts. Tonight, while watching ABC's What Would You Do (kinda like Punk'd, but with a morality check), they aired a segment with red headed kids getting picked on in public. The writers decided to air this after a young boy wrote to them describing how he constantly gets picked on for being a ginger (for those of you not familiar with the term, it's someone with red hair). These actor kids that were playing the bully victims had gorgeous red locks.
My first thought was, "are kids really that naive that they don't realize how HOT red heads are? HELLO?! Ginger is totally the new black!" Sure, there isn't much of an abundance when it comes to celebrity men sporting the red, but women...now they KNOW what's going on, and they're working it for all it's worth. Natural or not, many women in the entertainment industry have gone red at one point or another, that is of course, unless they were already red. One of the first gingers to ever catch my eye as a child was supermodel Angie Everhart. That stunning red hair graced the cover of several magazines, numerous shampoo commercials, and then transitioned onto the big screen in movies like Last Action Hero and Bordello of Blood, and eventually went on to do television.
Today, people are going red, because red is just hot. Lil Kim collaborated with other artists on Lady Marmalade and looked amazing with the red do. Let's not forget the queen (because according to Nicki Minaj, there is only one queen, and that's Madonna...bitch!) who went ginger for Confessions on a Dance Floor. Lead singer for one of my favorite rock bands, Garbage (Shirley Manson), didn't have to change her hair. She's naturally red, and she rocks it! What about bad boy, Chris Brown's, ex-girlfriend Rihanna who went red for a while (not one of my favorite examples, but it was a good look for her)? AND we can't forget how Julia Roberts won over audiences everywhere with her red locks in Pretty Woman, well, that and her hooker charm (but you don't have to be a hooker to be charming).
I always feel so bad for kids who feel they're not good looking enough. Damn, I used to feel bad for myself when I was young. LOL! I never thought of myself as a good-looking kid. It didn't help that I dated someone who practically reassured me of that as a young adult. Although my self-esteem wasn't the highest it could be growing up, I eventually realized that despite what I thought, people still found a quality in me that was attractive. Whether it was my looks, my personality, or just my all around attitude, there were actually people who liked being around me. I like to think my quirky ways just grew on people. I don't remember having too many ginger friends growing up, but I think red is red-hot! So kids, do yourselves a favor, and embrace your beautiful red hair.
You may not realize it now, but some people would kill for the perfect shade of red. Even animated characters such as Jessica Rabbit and Poison Ivy proudly sport an awesome red mane. You may not realize it now, but later in life, you will be the envy of everyone. When that happens, do ME a favor, and make sure other kids that may be experiencing what you went through, know that they're not alone either.
So if you're a red head, and someone tries to tell you that blondes have more fun, just remind them that at least your carpet matches your drapes. That oughtta keep them quiet for a bit.

No comments:

Post a Comment