Tuesday, August 2, 2011

80s parents were the bomb!

After reevaluating the Nightmare On Elm Street franchise this past week, I learned something I had never really thought about before. Every kids' parents in those movies had problems. So I began to ask myself: "Could the storyline have been wrong?"

Here's my reasoning: We all know from the original that Fred Krueger was a child killer set free on a technicality. According to Marge Thompson (Nancy's mom in the original), the parents got together, hunted him down, and burned him alive. Now Freddy returns in the nightmares of their kids and kills them in their sleep.

If you've taken a close look at each installment (not counting A Nightmare on Elm Street 2: Freddy's Revenge, as it lacked the same substance as the others), most of the parents seemed to be alcoholics or just plain troubled in some way. Of course Marge Thompson was just the best! She was always drunk, almost adding an element of comedy to the film. In almost every scene, she has a bottle of vodka with her. In Dream Warriors, Kristen Parker's mom was a neurotic chain smoker, while in Dream Master, we revert back to alcoholism with Mr. Johnson (Rick and Alice's dad).

So what if the parents were wrong? What if Fred Krueger wasn't some monster? Instead think about this: What if after a long night of partying, the Elm Street parents were just so wasted they accidentally murdered Freddy? It's possible. We've all heard strange stories of what people can do in a drunken state of mind. It would still make sense as far as the story goes: Wild party gone bad. Drunk group kills guy. Dead guy takes revenge by killing their kids. I'd buy that.

It's just something to think about. I mean, we all know the real synopsis of the film, but this could have been a real possibility is all I'm saying.

I also have to bring up a funny fact from the original film. While watching it last night, I noticed what I would have considered a serious time lapse. Let me take you back to A Nightmare On Elm Street. Nancy calls her boyfriend Glen at 11:42pm and warns him not to fall asleep. Glen dies at exactly midnight (we know this because the tv station he is watching announces the time right before it signs off). By 12:10am, the police and EMS are all on the scene already cleaning up the mess. At that moment, Nancy calls her father and tells here she's going to grab Krueger for him, but he needs to show up at her door across the street in 20 minutes. As she says: "That would be exactly half past 12." After her phone conversation, she manages to booby trap the entire house and have a heart to heart talk with her mother (not realizing it would be the last time she spoke to her). Finally Nancy sets the alarm on her watch for 12:30am giving her ten minutes to fall asleep and grab the maniac. Did anyone else ever notice that she was able to do all of that in only TEN MINUTES? Oh the possibilities.

Now I invite all of you to go back and watch these movies, and see if you can pick up on anything others may have missed. You can actually make it a movie night with friends and turn it into a game. LOL!

3 comments:

  1. I am dying to have an Elm Street marathon!! I always remember watching these movies at your house with Myrna because my Mom surely wouldn't let us girls watch them at home. Chris, you should write a script based on that flipped around concept. Make it super 80's style and just totally wicked!! I'd buy a ticket for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL...thanks. I'm glad you even took a minute to read my blog. I actually become flattered when people either comment or give me some kind of sign that they've read it. What an honor for me. :)
    But you're so right! I bet that would be a totally fun concept to make a movie about. I'm going to think about that. Thanks for being an inspiration. :)

    ReplyDelete