Saturday, August 13, 2011

Times are a Changin'

http://www.cnn.com/2011/LIVING/08/12/norton.attell.comedy/index.html?hpt=en_c2

Funny how a friend was discussing something very similar to this just last night. The link above mentions Dave Attell who sort of chronicled the night life after hours scene several years back. According to the article, kids these days are "more content just to be on Facebook" and taking pictures to "post to their buddies." I can see this.

Last night, some friends and I were discussing a local club, The Saint, and how wild it used to be when I was a kid. Fifteen years ago, it was common for five guys to be hurtled in the one and only bathroom stall inside the men's restroom. I joked that we all knew what they were doing, but my friend put it best when he wittingly said the days of "doing a line of coke off a drag queen's tit" were gone.

The club, which recently relocated about two blocks down from where it used to be, has moved away from all the action. The San Antonio "strip," as it is known to many has far been the hang out of every homo from here to eternity in this city. I didn't really care about the move, seeing as to how I hadn't really hung out at The Saint in years, but I never expected to see it's demise. Not that the club is officially dead or anything like that, but rumor has it that the club is not as thriving as it once was in it's previous home.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that kids today are more conservative than they were 15 years ago. Attell is right when he says they would rather be on FB. Look around you, in any restaurant, at any social funtion, and you'll see kids on their phones checking their latest updates and uploading their latest photos rather than interacting with one another in many cases.

Really the only reason kids have changed is because technology has progressed. I went from having an Ericsson T18z back then, to an iPhone 4. It's like we define ourselves today by our technological toys.

Well if there's one thing that hasn't changed from 15 years ago, it's knowing how to have a good time. And I sure as hell haven't forgotten how to do that. So follow me if you wanna have fun. Technology or not, I'm still TheGossipGuy, and I'm still one crazy kid at heart!

No comments:

Post a Comment