Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Try The Chili Queens' Bomb, but stay and sample a little bit of everything at Alamo Street Eat Bar

San Antonio has become synonymous with Taco Trucks, just as New Orleans has their Lucky Dogs. Well now it seems more and more gourmet food trucks are popping up around town. But these mobile eating stations aren't new. Perhaps the cuisines are becoming more diverse, but we've all seen them in one corner or another around SA. Just a few weeks ago, I made my way over to a funky little voyeuristic sex-inspired art show, where I had my first taste of The Chili Queens. The eatery on wheels was different from my usual taco spot parked out in front of the Silver Dollar Saloon located at 1812 N. Main St. My typical taco dive after a long and entertaining night of drinking and socializing. By the way, if you like street tacos, Guero's tacos are the shit! Although I have to warn all the breeders, it's a gay hangout after hours. If you don't know how to behave amongst the gays, don't go. This is usually a safe haven for them to get their grub on. As I was saying, I discovered this truck known as The Chili Queens. I had a Frito Pie and their Mint Lemonade. The drink was to die for. And this was no ordinary Frito Pie. This one screamed AWESOME going down my throat. Today, The Chili Queens can be found at the Alamo Street Eat Bar at 609 S. Alamo. One of the new items on their menu: The Bomb. Let me tell you, this sandwich is to die for! It's brisket topped with a fried egg and shredded cheese. I know...delicious! Right?!
But don't just take my word for it, it's got all the things any South Texan would love. Wash it down with their Mint Lemonade, or just have an old fashioned Coke, OR a San Antonio favorite: BIG RED! Being the big Coke head that I am, I of course opted for the cola. But the Alamo Street Eat Bar isn't limited to South Texas cuisine. Four other trucks share the space, so you get a variety of eats to sample. Wheelie Gourmet specializes in Moroccan street food. Some of the entrees I noticed on their menu included lamb and salmon, yum! Cullum's Attaboy is the resident burger truck, but you have to try their sweet potato fries. Rolling Pig offers a variety of pork products in their entrees, and Tapa Tapa...well, I think the name of that one says it all. All of these guys can be found on Facebook and Twitter, so if you're interested in learning more about these great eats and treats, follow them, or become their friends. San Antonio doesn't have to be tacos 24/7 (although you have to admit, we are known for some of the best damn Tex-Mex stuff around). Stop by Alamo Street Eat Bar and try some of these awesome eats. And if you're not one for food, just go for the bar and have a cold one. I don't think it's possible to be disappointed here.

No comments:

Post a Comment