Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Faceless friends on Facebook worry me.


What if Facebook didn't allow the option for pictures? What if you couldn't see anyone you were friends with? Yeah, I know, if they're your friends, you probably already know what they look like. But what I'm asking is, what if Facebook was a networking platform for you, yet nobody could see you? It would feel a bit awkward, wouldn't it? At least for me it would. So today I get a message from a faceless Facebook friend. Oh, the irony! Afterall, it is called "face"book, isn't it?

So I take a look at said friend's profile to find out more about this person messaging me. To my surprise, the account was so vague! There was nothing about this friend's likes or dislikes, there were not pictures other than the two (which by the way, were the same photo) in his profile pictures folder. It was a headless body, with some great abs, and a pair of shorts pulled up almost to his abdomen. Yeah, I thought that was strange too. Aside from one of my co-workers, I don't know anyone who wears their pants that high.

In this message, he says, "hey." Yes, I say he, because the body picture in the profile is that of a man. So I replied, "hello," just like I would to any of my FB friends. I think he proceeded to ask how things were going, and I paused for a second. I thought to myself, "what is this guy hiding from? Why is it that I can't see his face? Is he a fugitive?" Then I just got tired of asking myself questions.

I'm the type of person on FB that doesn't delete friends. Yes, I know I have many friends who go through their accounts every so often and refresh their friend list, deleting people whom they don't think are worth keeping. I don't know why I can't be like that. Maybe it's just because I'm an attention whore. Whatever the reason, it made me think of something another friend mentioned on FB a few days ago. Something about deleting people with fake profiles or pictures. I thought to myself, "why would anyone do that, going as far as to create a fake profile? What is it they're trying to do?"

It was something that was on my mind all day today. Not the part about inventing fake profiles, but the fact that someone had tried contacting me without a face. What was his intention? I'm asking a lot of questions aren't I? Oh well, you're still reading, so I guess it's all good.

Maybe for me it's just odd, because I feel that FB is a great place to make friends and connect with current and old ones, but also network with others around you. So when you can't see the person trying to talk to you, it just makes things a bit odd. Wouldn't you agree?

2 comments:

  1. I have same issue, but I can not delete mine. They have blocked me off. I now have 200 faceless friends with black names that I can't see their profile or delete them. Any one who can help?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Please any one, help me get rid of these faceless friends with a black name that I can't delete

    ReplyDelete