Monday, September 26, 2011

It's just gossip, isn't it?

It takes one person to start a rumor, and one more to make it official gossip. Believe me, I'm always up for good gossip, but its always a little different when it's about you. Funny little story I heard from Alex when I came home on Saturday. It all started with a strange dream on Friday, and apparently ended up with Alex leaving me and moving out by Saturday. Or at least that's what this gossip would have had you believe. Let's start from the beginning, shall we?

Friday I woke up and told Alex, in detail, the weird dream I had. In my dream, I had come home one evening to witness Alex packing up his belongings. To state the obvious, I asked what was going on, and he replied that he had to move. When I asked him why, he elaborated, telling me that his parents were moving and that he had to go with them. I still didn't understand, but what did it matter? It was a dream. Next thing I knew, I was moving into this tiny ass apartment because of all the credit card debt I had acquired along the years, and I was opening an IRA with a measly $35.

Alex and I had a good little laugh afterward. The next day, he comes home from work and tells me that according to the latest gossip, we had already split up and that he had moved out. This stemming from a conversation with someone at work regarding my dream. He was sharing my dream with someone when a third party overheard. Next thing he knew, everyone was questioning what had happened with us. When Alex told me about it, I thought I'd add a little fuel to the fire and make it a bit more interesting.

Afterall, it's just gossip until you hear it from the actual source. I decided to go on Facebook later that evening and post only what I had heard from Alex. My update read:

"Today's hot gossip: Alex is packing up and leaving! Well good luck with that, buddy! I just heard it now! Ugh, I've been needing a drink since 2am."

I figured that would be enough to let everyone else jump to their own conclusions. And wow, did the texts and Facebook messages start blowing up our phones. People concerned, people wanting confirmation, people wanting to be nosy. It was fun, but I had to respond to everyone of course (well almost everyone) and explain what was going on.

What should you learn form this? Social media really works! People are paying attention. It can be your friend, but it can also be your enemy. Use it wisely. And if you have any savory gossip, please let me in on it. I'm always one to talk. (wink, wink)

No comments:

Post a Comment