Thursday, August 26, 2010

Powderkids go out with a bang!

Tonight I got to watch the highly anticipated local independently made film, The Powderkids. So I have to give props to my Buddy Calvo and Perla Rivera for putting me on the list. I got there just as they started allowing people into the auditorium where the flick was playing. I was surprised as to how many people were there. It wasn't a sell-out, but unless you consider enough empty seats to make up about two and a half or three rows bad, this turnout was...how can I put this best? It was the shit.

Saw quite a few people out there that I recognized from either Facebook or just familiar hometown faces, including Maclovio Perez, spokesperson for Harlandale ISD, and former WOAI meteorologist, and Brian Alonzo from KSAT-12. And of course all most of the cast of the movie were on hand. Isn't it always strange to see someone in person and realize either how short or tall they really are?

Well if you missed the movie, let me describe it to you this way. This is the Goodfellas for the twentysomethings of today. The lead male character, Lucas, narrates most of the film, but he keeps you up to speed with who's who and how everything falls into place. I was very impressed with most of the acting as well, for people who had never acted before.

I'm not gonna lie! Not everyone was good, but hey, as I said, these guys weren't actors. Still, it was a good story, that seemed to keep the audience in a trance throughout. The film was also screened on BluRay, which made it look that much better.

Calvo wasn't kidding, for a shoestring budget, these guys really went all out and got the bang for their buck! Awesome sound, which of course was all thanks to The Living Room Studio. So the movie will go from here onto film festivals everywhere. I have a good feeling about The Powderkids. I just hope the real critics feel the same. Good luck and congrats to Calvo and his team!

No comments:

Post a Comment