Sunday, January 31, 2016

Old Main Association puts New spin on Mexican cuisine

In case you haven't heard (and I highly doubt it with all the publicity the press has given them), The Old Main Association is getting quite the reputation for putting a spin on some classic Mexican eats. But first, I have to publicly apologize to the tavern, namely their awesome chef, Lorenzo Morales, for not blogging this a lot sooner. I did a piece on this place for another publication with the impression that it would go out right away, but have not seen it published yet.

In an interview with Morales, he explained that The Old Main Association is a tavern which happens to have a menu. Old Main opened to the public in September 2015, and with amazing reviews to boot. It was the first time I'd heard of a restaurant using a Mexican pastry as a hamburger bun. I should explain. Pictured above you'll see their city-wide famous "Concha Burger." For those of you non-native South Texans, a concha is pan dulce* (sweet bread), which is considered a treat in Mexico and other Latin American Countries.
"In San Antonio, the food is amazing," Morales said. But there was no need to try and convince me. I've been eating San Antonio food for many years, so it was a given. What Morales was saying is he didn't want to do Tex-Mex for his menu. He admitted the idea for his specialty burger was something he'd been thinking about a long time. After many trials and having family taste his creation, it was ready to introduce to the public. When asked how the idea came about, his answer was simple, "It's sweet, it's savory." It also resembles a the top half of a hamburger bun, he added.

Morales graduated from the Culinary Institute of America-Hyde Park. It was his grandmother who inspired him to cook at the early age of 5 or 6, he recalled. According to Morales, she would prop him on a chair next to the stove and let him stir whatever it was she was cooking. Naturally, he became a chef. "It's always been something I wanted to do and always been a dream," he said. "I've been in the industry since I was 15."

I wanted to know more about his famous Pork & Beans. You may not find it on his current menu because he's constantly switching it up. I told him I was fascinated with the dish after reading the description on the menu. I had always remembered going camping as a kid, and eating pork-n-beans. Needeless to say, I hated pork-n-beans growing up, but this certain dish caught my attention.

"It's not your typical frank and beans," Morales said. "It's a traditional dish served in a very nontraditional way. It looks pretty. It's all about presentation."

Morales used a pork shoulder for this dish in place of the traditional franks, but it was the presentation that left me in awe. My server came to my table with a clean white plate, and placed it gently in front of me, followed by a plain silver tin can, which he proceeded to turn upside-down as the contents emptied onto my plate. As it settled on the dish, it did so with perfection; shreds of pork shoulder, beans, and garnishes all fell into place. I almost didn't want to eat it because it really did look pretty. The best part though: IT. WAS. DELICIOUS.
Although you may not find it on the menu at the present, Morales assured me it's a customer favorite that will make it's way back in the immediate future. I suggest you try it with The Paloma, a concoction of tequila, lime, grapefruit soda, and salt. For a full menu, check out their Facebook page at facebook.com/theoldmainassoc/. The Old Main Association is located at 2512 North Main Avenue in San Antonio.

*https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pan_dulce

No comments:

Post a Comment