Sunday, March 4, 2012

New television show has me asking, "do people change?"


The television premier of ABC's new show, GCB, aired tonight. It really got me thinking though, do people really change? I should know the answer. I've known many people and have noticed many changes in them since childhood. But how do you get others to see that, or should it even matter? My friends know that I'm not the kind of person who likes to be disliked without good reason. Well, I guess I shouldn't be giving anyone reason to dislike me to begin with, but everyone knows shit happens, right?

In light of all the anti-bullying campaigns, this show centers around five women in Dallas: a former high school queen of mean, and four others set on revenge. The show is based on Kim Gatlin's book, Good Christian Bitches. If you missed it, you really should consider recording it, or watching it On Demand.

Just watching Leslie Bibb's character trying to explain how she wasn't the same person she was in high school suddenly brought back memories of things I had done as a kid. Ok, I'll admit, I did some crappy stuff, and I was somewhat of a meanie, but no more than anyone else was. But is that a cop out for me to justify my actions as a child? Maybe so. But I realize as an adult that back then, I was definitely in the wrong.

For some unknown reason, I've always seen myself as being really sweet...well that, and the fact that I hear it from everyone. Fact of the matter is, I used to be somewhat of a mean kid. Whether it was wreaking havoc by telephone and allegedly terrorizing school mates, or convincing another classmate that a celebrity scout would be at our talent show to check him out, I guess I had a way of being very bad. I'm just glad I grew up, as most of us usually do.

So my question still, do we change? I know that I have, but I guess I need validation from friends, someone to confirm it for me. Or is it that we still see our friends the same way we did growing up? I admit, I still see some of my friends the same way, while others I've seen a change in. I guess in a way, many of us are "good Christian bitches."

No comments:

Post a Comment